Nowadays the Information and communication technology is key to travel and to run a tourism industry, according to a Google travel research 74% of the people plan their trips on Internet while the other 13 % take the help of agencies to plan trips for them. Mobile and web applications, social media and blogs play a vital role to plan a trip. It significantly helped both the providers and the consumers.
Steve Jobs said: “Technology is nothing. What’s important is that you have a faith in people, that they’re basically good and smart, and if you give them tools, they’ll do wonderful things with them.”
We have the tools. Now the question is: what are we going to do with them?
These tools and technologies are affecting tourism in many ways some of them are as under:
- Gadgets become tour guides. You are using a smartphone, a tablet or a laptop you can plan your trip while sitting anywhere or comfortably on your couch. You can select the best places to visit, reserve a hotel online. People use travel applications like booking.com and trip advisory to plan their trips easily and cost effectively.
- Augmented Reality: Augmented Reality and virtual reality to prepare content for the customers. (360 photos and videos). It gives an opportunity to the providers to show their property like hotels, resorts, guest houses, scenic places at the angle of 360. And it gives travelers an opportunity to visit the place virtually before visiting them in real, this opportunity helps them in making decisions.
- Virtual Assistants: The virtual assistants like Siri and Alexa meets all the needs like telling the weather of the city and choosing the best hotel in the city, choosing the best places to visit.
- Big data: Nowadays hotels are collecting and using the data of their customers to identify the customer’s target to run campaigns.
- Blockchain: This technology is used for secure payments